Blue Bums and Little Critters.

They are everywhere!

In the air, in the trees, on the ground, under leaves, under rocks, in bedrooms…even in the bathrooms!

LITTLE- CRITTERS!

They can bite and sting you and some can kill you; some of the bigger little-critters can even eat you.
They have lots of legs, some have wings, some are hairy, some are slimy, some are scaly and some have all these attributes!

Big little-critter skin.

I have encountered some dead ones and lots of live ones.

Here is a run down of my top 10 little critter encounters (In no particular order)

1 ) The most exciting dead little-critter was a dark bluish grey slimy one that had recently been run over close to where we have been working, This little-critter could kill you (if his guts weren’t hanging out)
Death Factor: 5/5 Cute Factor: 2/5 Gross Factor: 3/5 Annoyance Factor: 3/5

Scaled little-critter

2 ) My next in the top ten little-critters that I have meet was fat (for a critter) slimy and alive. He was hiding in my gear tent one morning; out he hopped in search of breakfast or to be breakfast (But what ever eats this little-critter will be killed by his toxic slime) I hear that some people have been known to lick there backs for fun?
Death Factor: 3/5 Cute Factor: 1/5 Gross Factor: 4/5 Annoyance Factor: 3/5

Slimy little-critter

3 ) Ants with green bums, they might sound like something from a Pixar movie but these little nasties make nests in trees, and then fall out in the wind landing on the ground, they climb onto you, then bite (sort of like a pin prick) they go for places that cause most pain; like groins and behind my right ear.
There must be about one zillion of these little-critters every square meter around here. Not as bad as the bull ant apparently, they are known as meat eaters.
Death Factor: 1/5 Cute Factor: 4/5 Gross Factor: 3/5 Annoyance Factor: 5/5

Pixar little-critters

4 ) The unseen menace that can bite you without pain or discomfort and I think it attacks in the night in my room. How do I know its a little critter and not a big critter? I still have my limbs and there is the odd red lumpy thing, I guess they could be spiders, but as yet I have not seen who is doing the night damage.
Death Factor: 1/5 Cute Factor: 1/5 Gross Factor: 4/5 Annoyance Factor: 3/5

Nasty little-critter

5 ) Cockroaches the size of small rodents that can move not only devour food scraps but also open your fridge and empty its contents.
Death Factor: 1/5 Cute Factor: 1/5 Gross Factor: 3/5 Annoyance Factor: 4/5

Even little-critters from the water like to have a go at you.

6 ) A large (about 2 meters long) brown slimy one. Well I didn’t actually encounter him I only saw evidence that he was getting bigger.
There is so many little critters for him to eat I am sure he sheds his skin on a very regular basis.
Death Factor: 5/5 Cute Factor: 2/5 Gross Factor: 3/5 Annoyance Factor: 2/5

A growing little- critters skinBig little-critters skin.

7 ) This sad little-critter lives in my bathroom tap. He plopped one day when I turned the tap on and proceeded to go down the plughole for a swim. I see him every other day and he seems to be a happy wee thing although probably sick of soapy water.
Death Factor: 0/5 Cute Factor: 5/5 Gross Factor: 0/5 Annoyance Factor: 0/5

Soapy little-critter

8 ) To keep my tap dweller company is a colony of pale green geckos that keep the really litter critter population down in the bathroom.
Death Factor: 0/5 Cute Factor: 4/5 Gross Factor: 1/5 Annoyance Factor: 0/5

9 ) The coolest living critter was a really big green slimy version of the tap dweller, this one also liked to hang out in a toilets (I didn’t know frogs were like that.)
I thought it was an ornamental air freshener until I noticed it pulsing.

Lazy little-critter

10 ) Finally flying-critters. Some you hear but never see, they fly right past my ears sounding like large bumble bees, but nothing is there as I go screaming into the bush waving my hands around my head. Horse-flies that make circuits of the brim of my hat looking for a landing spot to attack your flesh. There are Dragonflies as big as small birds, very cool, especially considering that they don’t bite.
And there are a million other unidentified flying-critters that constantly harass and attack you when ever you feel that you might start to enjoy the bush.
Death Factor: 0/5 Cute Factor: 2/5 Gross Factor: 3/5 Annoyance Factor: 5/5

Flying little-critter

I finished my task of laser-scanning shell mounds today and celebrated the Weipa way by devouring freshly harvested local shell fish: Blue Bums (tasted/texture a bit like squid) and Mud Clams (like oysters but a bit chewy) both very nice and cooked in a fire.

Yum Yum Blue Bums and Mud Clams

Well this is my second tour of duty in this very hot little-critter infested land, I hope to be back again next year and continue my quest for encounters of more little- critters and maybe enjoy a Blue Bum or two along the way.

Tim Mackrell

One thought on “Blue Bums and Little Critters.