Goodbye London, Welcome to Stockholm!

Last week I finished in the British Museum and the Petrie Museum. I had a few extra days at the Petrie as I had finished up at the British Museum earlier than expected. There I examined the collection from Hammamieh, which I almost completed, with the exception of fifty or so sherds.  There is always more that could be done and I left thinking of weeks more work that I could do, but did what I went to the UK to do, so I have to be happy with that.

Figure 1: The Merimda collection in storage. All of the white boxes contain 40-80 artefacts which I will look at.

I hauled myself and 50kg of luggage to Stockholm and have been spending my time at the Världskulturmuseerna Medelhavet, or more specifically their off-site storage facility just outside of the city. The staff at the museum are very friendly and have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome. The collection I am examining is slightly larger than I anticipated, with over 2000 artefacts from Merimda and a small number from the Fayum. My first priority is to work through the Merimda collection (Figure 1), as hopefully I will get a large sample of Fayum ceramics in Egypt next month.

Figure 2: The Merimda ceramics in the Prehistoric section of the Världskulturmuseerna Medelhavet

The Världskulturmuseerna Medelhavet has a very good prehistoric Egypt display which has recently been redeveloped (Figure 2). There are a number of unique examples of Merimda vessels on display which unfortunately cannot be taken off display, but metric data pre-exists from these items which I can use. The ones on display are the most complete ones, but there is at least seventy more vessels in the collection which I can examine. While in the grand scheme of things this may not seem like much, it is a lot compared to the Fayum where we have less than 40 or so surviving vessels.

In the past week I have managed to analyse close to 800 artefacts. If I can keep a pace similar to this I should have no problem finishing the collection before I leave for Vienna at the end of the month. Of those artefacts I have subsampled about a third to use the XRF on, as to do them all would take quite a long time.

Until next time,

Josh

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.